Almost weekly I learn about a new service seeking to help solve the digital afterlife problem. More often than not, I learn about a new password or file vault. Some are designed to last until death, and others are focused on perpetuity. All of these services rely on one premise: advance preparation.
It’s a simple question without a simple answer, unless you’re willing to accept “it depends” as a simple answer. The ...
Death used to be the final disconnect from the mortal world, but that’s not quite the case anymore. From the ...
Among social media websites, Twitter has one of the simplest policies related to the death of a user. Simply put, Twitter will work with an authorized representative of the deceased user’s estate to deactivate the account and will not provide any access to the account. The policy, which was announced in 2010, previously offered a backup of public tweets, but that language was later removed.
In 2009 we founded The Digital Beyond as a way to spread awareness of digital afterlife issues and to provide expert guidance to companies and individuals. One constant feature of our site is our Online Services List, which has grown to 61 different companies offering digital estate planning or online memorial services. Following a few […]
At the end of Facebook’s recent announcement about privacy settings of memorialized profiles and the availability of Look Back videos to friends of the deceased users, a final paragraph hints at more to come from Facebook. Changes like this are part of a larger, ongoing effort to help people when they face difficult challenges like […]
Over the last two years the Uniform Law Commission’s Fiduciary Access to Digital Assets committee has worked with companies, private organizations and industry leaders to craft a model act to incorporate digital assets into probate and trust codes. The stated goal of the committee is to “vest fiduciaries with at least the authority to manage and […]
- So what *does* happen to your digital assets after you die? December 21, 2010
- What happens to your Facebook account when you die? February 7, 2012
- What do you want to happen to your Facebook profile after you die? January 14, 2010
- Stages of the Digital Afterlife August 24, 2009
- Life experiences December 17, 2010
- Solving the Digital Afterlife Problem April 16, 2014
- What happens to your Twitter account when you die? April 15, 2014
- RIP Digital Legacy Startups March 21, 2014
- More News from Facebook? March 19, 2014
- ULC Fiduciary Access to Digital Assets Committee Work Coming to Close March 18, 2014
- Evan Carroll: Hi Stavros, I haven't tried in a while. Good to h...
- Stavros: Hi, I'm Stavros, the creator of Dead Man's Switc...
- Evan Carroll: Thank you, Deena. I appreciate your kudos and supp...
- Evan Carroll: Hi Rachel, You're correct that Facebook has chang...
- Deena Coutant: Evan, Your talk on this subject at RootsTech 2014 ...