Wappingers Falls, NY (February 28th 2014) Follr, Inc. today announced a content licensing agreement with The Digital Beyond, a blog about digital existence and what happens to it after death. Under the agreement Follr users will be able to read and view Digital Beyond content, including blog posts and videos, from the Follr software platform and via the […]
About Evan CarrollEvan Carroll is an experience designer and researcher. His passion is observing how people interact with technology and using that insight to create user-centered products and services—a passion that led him to study the digital afterlife. Evan holds BS and MS degrees in Information Science from UNC-Chapel Hill’s School of Information and Library Science. He can be contacted by emailing or via Twitter @evancarroll. Evan's personal site is www.evancarroll.net.
Author Archive | Evan Carroll
Just what does happen to your digital life once you’re gone? As we’ve said here many times before, there’s no easy or simple answer to that question. But there is something you can do: plan ahead.
PasswordBox, the first and only password management solution to offer legacy protection, today announced its acquisition of Legacy Locker, the first-to-market digital legacy solution. The acquisition comes after PasswordBox announced its series A financing of $6 million, led by OMERS Ventures and several Silicon Valley angel investors, including two Facebook executives. The acquisition of Legacy […]
Here’s an interesting infographic from the folks at InternetServiceProviders.org that takes a look at the Internet user of the future. Enjoy.
Here’s a fascinating infographic out of the UK. Not surprisingly, only 20% had considered what would happen to their online profiles after they died. The YouGov survey, conducted on behalf of Perfect Choice Funeral Plans, found that 45% of 18-24 year-olds would prefer their profiles to remain online but only 25% of over 55s felt the same. […]
Last week I received a reminder from Google about my Inactive Account Manager settings. The notice, reminded me of my timeout period and the contact I specified to receive my information.
Our friends over at AfterSteps prepared this interesting infographic to show the various policies and procedures for all sorts of online accounts from email and social networking to entertainment and online backup accounts. View the original post at AfterSteps.
Today Google released its new Inactive Account Manger allowing users to now specify what should happen to their account data once they stop using Google. This is the first offering from a major service provider to proactively ask users to specify their wishes before death. The new feature works like this: You specify a waiting […]
What happens to your email, Facebook page and other digital property when you die? Naomi Cahn of the George Washington University School of Law, and our own Evan Carroll, co-author of “Your Digital Afterlife,” talk to Jeffrey Brown of PBS NewsHour about the legal and ethical quandaries of dealing with a loved one’s digital assets […]
Adding to the list of states that have passed laws pertaining to digital estates, the Virginia Legislature passed HB 1752 today affording parents of deceased minors access to their social media accounts. The bill’s description reads: Powers of personal representatives; digital accounts. Provides that the personal representative of a deceased minor has the power to assume the […]
- So what *does* happen to your digital assets after you die? December 21, 2010
- What happens to your Facebook account when you die? February 7, 2012
- What do you want to happen to your Facebook profile after you die? January 14, 2010
- Stages of the Digital Afterlife August 24, 2009
- The Digital Beyond: An Introduction August 17, 2009
- Digital Beyond content now cross-posted at Follr.com March 4, 2014
- How to Prepare for Your Digital Afterlife January 7, 2014
- PasswordBox Acquires Legacy Locker November 20, 2013
- What will the next billion Internet users look like? September 11, 2013
- Living online forever? What the UK thinks about it. July 29, 2013
- Norman Griesdorf: As a solicitor practicing in Ontario, Canada I adv...
- Mario Bruneau: And they will all use QR codes for all sorts of th...
- Social Farewell: Questions like this one are why www.socialfarewell...
- allstarlikes: I really don't think Facebook will care people, t...
- Alfons Boltjes: Dear reader, All what you suggest in your artic...