Almost weekly I learn about a new service seeking to help solve the digital afterlife problem. More often than not, I learn about a new password or file vault. Some are designed to last until death, and others are focused on perpetuity. All of these services rely on one premise: advance preparation.
Archive | Industry RSS feed for this section
In 2009 we founded The Digital Beyond as a way to spread awareness of digital afterlife issues and to provide expert guidance to companies and individuals. One constant feature of our site is our Online Services List, which has grown to 61 different companies offering digital estate planning or online memorial services. Following a few […]
At the end of Facebook’s recent announcement about privacy settings of memorialized profiles and the availability of Look Back videos to friends of the deceased users, a final paragraph hints at more to come from Facebook. Changes like this are part of a larger, ongoing effort to help people when they face difficult challenges like […]
PasswordBox, the first and only password management solution to offer legacy protection, today announced its acquisition of Legacy Locker, the first-to-market digital legacy solution. The acquisition comes after PasswordBox announced its series A financing of $6 million, led by OMERS Ventures and several Silicon Valley angel investors, including two Facebook executives. The acquisition of Legacy […]
What happens to your email, Facebook page and other digital property when you die? Naomi Cahn of the George Washington University School of Law, and our own Evan Carroll, co-author of “Your Digital Afterlife,” talk to Jeffrey Brown of PBS NewsHour about the legal and ethical quandaries of dealing with a loved one’s digital assets […]
Recollect, a new California-based startup of three former Flickr employees, launched into public beta on October 25th promising to archive everything you do online. The service, which first made waves on the Internet with its archive of Tweets from the wildly popular XOXO Festival, allows users to collect their social media activity into one downloadable archive.
The folks over at Life Insurance Finder put together this great infographic, Step By Step Expert Guide To Protect Yourself Online Before You Die. With advice from me and Nate Lustig, formerly of Entrustet, now SecureSafe, the infographic defines digital assets, presents the various digital estate planning services, and discusses how to leave a digital legacy. […]
The following is from the official announcement: ZURICH, Switzerland, April 17, 2012 – DSwiss, founders of SecureSafe, the leading online data safe service, announces today the acquisition of US-based digital estate planning service Entrustet. The acquisition will strengthen DSwiss’ footprint within the US market and provide them with additional end users. The Entrustet service allows people to […]
Memory-sharing platform 1000memories today announced the launch of the Shoebox scanning app for iPhone, the first mobile tool designed for digitizing, organizing and sharing collections of photos from the past. The app gives individuals, families and organizations the ability to scan and instantly share large collections of photos and documents that have previously been difficult […]
DSwiss AG, the specialist providers of high-security Internet services, announced today the launch of SecureSafe, a new service incorporating their existing DataInherit service. The launch of the new online service, new iPad app and enhanced iPhone app offers users around the world increased security, functionality and mobility. In addition to the new name and look […]
- So what *does* happen to your digital assets after you die? December 21, 2010
- What happens to your Facebook account when you die? February 7, 2012
- What do you want to happen to your Facebook profile after you die? January 14, 2010
- Stages of the Digital Afterlife August 24, 2009
- Life experiences December 17, 2010
- Solving the Digital Afterlife Problem April 16, 2014
- What happens to your Twitter account when you die? April 15, 2014
- RIP Digital Legacy Startups March 21, 2014
- More News from Facebook? March 19, 2014
- ULC Fiduciary Access to Digital Assets Committee Work Coming to Close March 18, 2014
- Evan Carroll: Hi Stavros, I haven't tried in a while. Good to h...
- Stavros: Hi, I'm Stavros, the creator of Dead Man's Switc...
- Evan Carroll: Thank you, Deena. I appreciate your kudos and supp...
- Evan Carroll: Hi Rachel, You're correct that Facebook has chang...
- Deena Coutant: Evan, Your talk on this subject at RootsTech 2014 ...