Today Google released its new Inactive Account Manger allowing users to now specify what should happen to their account data once they stop using Google. This is the first offering from a major service provider to proactively ask users to specify their wishes before death. The new feature works like this: You specify a waiting [...]
Archive | Technical RSS feed for this section
I sat with 65 other homo sapiens in a room, waiting to have an interview with a robot. Little did I know that in the end, it would be an interview with our own humanity.
New iPhone application enables individuals to quickly digitize and archive photographs. It’s time to find the shoebox of photos in your closet. A new iPhone application from a San Francisco-based start-up takes photo scanning mobile. 1000memories released Shoebox on October 27 with the promise of helping users tackle the often-massive task of scanning family photographs. [...]
If you’ve heard us talk about digital estate planning before, we always end the talk with an easy way out. It goes something like this. “If you do nothing else, make sure you inventory your most important digital accounts, record your user names and passwords, and then have a conversation with a trusted friend of [...]
Digital Immortals: Preserving Life Beyond Death is the panel I’ve proposed for SXSW 2012. In short we’ll talk about how we can archive our digital content so that it can be preserved and experienced in the future. I’ve asked a great set of panelists to join me: John Romano, The Digital Beyond Bill LeFurgy, Library [...]
In the future, we aren’t going to fight the robots, we’re going to become the robots. In fact, it may be even sooner — like, now. We’ll have two AI-powered panelists taking questions from the audience. Oh, we’ll have some great biological panelists, too. They’ll discuss artificial intelligence, digital avatars, and the future of identity. [...]
A new service has launched called Virtual Eternity that promises to create an “intelligent” avatar that can live on after you die. The avatar would look like you, sound like you, and respond to questions just like you do. And it could live on indefinitely after you are gone. The site, virtualeternity.com, allows you to [...]
In January I made a few predictions about digital afterlife trends for 2010. In that post I cited a prediction by TrendWatching.com that “profile myning” would be a crucial trend to watch in 2010. “Profile myning” is an intentional word play on profile mining, the process of extracting patterns and thus business intelligence from social [...]
One of the things I struggle with most is describing the value of planing for your digital afterlife. I often get the response “but won’t I be gone?” It’s salient that a big opportunity in this space is a solution that provides both immediate and long-term (after death) value. It’s been out for a few months [...]
It happens. Computers left behind by a loved one become locked boxes. Accounts become frozen. Treasured digital assets are lost. Now a new service is available that helps survivors unlock digital content. Digital Estate Services (http://www.digitalestateservices.com) is here to help. Their service can help unlock local files, recover user names and passwords for online accounts, [...]
- So what *does* happen to your digital assets after you die? December 21, 2010
- What happens to your Facebook account when you die? February 7, 2012
- What do you want to happen to your Facebook profile after you die? January 14, 2010
- Stages of the Digital Afterlife August 24, 2009
- Life experiences December 17, 2010
- Google Announces Inactive Account Manager April 11, 2013
- PBS NewsHour: Law Lags in Defining Posthumous Protocol for Online Accounts March 13, 2013
- Virginia Passes Digital Assets Law February 19, 2013
- Two Minute Overview: How to Prepare Your Digital Afterlife February 16, 2013
- Recollect: Archive Your Online Life November 11, 2012
- Tyeis: I was recommended this website through my cousin. ...
- Mattie: I know this if off topic but I'm looking into sta...
- Taylor: Hello it's me, I am also visiting this website re...
- fashion: I found your blog web site on google and check a c...
- more info: I wonder if this is real, or if it's just Faceboo...